Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stanford Phone Call




When the Stanford library closed week nights, the campus coffee shop remained open for over another hour. It was routine for students to spend some time “warming down” over refreshments, rarely alone, of course.


I had arranged with a girl in one of my English classes to meet her at her sorority house for some reviewing, and I sat in the sorority lobby to wait for her. I had my notes and coffee change. 
As I waited, the lobby phone rang. Shortly it was answered by a girl who said into the phone, 


“Tri-Delt. Who? Oh, okay. Just a sec.” She then   called up the staircase a name I never paid attention to. 


After a bit, another girl appeared at the foot of the staircase. She picked up the dangling receiver and said, 
“Hello...... Oh, uh, hello.... No, I have a date Saturday night. Uh, yeah, Friday, too..... No, I’m going home the next weekend.... Uh, No, I’m busy the whole next week after that... No, the next.... Oh (bleep!). Come over NOW!”


My kaffee klatch partner arrived at the foot of the     stairs just then. I never had an opportunity to see who that idiot was who had called. I've imagined all sorts of geeks. I wondered if “come over now” meant the coffee shop. But then the girl would be seen with him. NO WAY!





No comments: