Sunday, February 24, 2013

Plastiline


One evening, idling through the local newspaper, an item about adult extension classes caught my attention. A sculpting class at the nearby school was offered. I put the paper down, had a coffee, picked up the paper again, folded it so the article was up, put it on the dining room table, finished my coffee, and finally read the day, time, and room number.

I'd sculpted something once. At Cal State, in an education class, I'd had to make something in clay. I'd rolled some clay into a ball, slammed it on the table so it couldn't roll around, and punched holes in it with a pencil. I'd named it “Pencil Holder.”  The instructor had said, “Well, it's different.”

In my typical, dilatory manner, I kept passing the newspaper clipping on the table. Reading the piece one more time, I noted that the class time was Thursday evenings. 
 
Several people were at the classroom door when I arrived. Most of them were women in their fifties or so, all matronly. I had no idea what a sculptor was supposed to look like; but these people seemed to know the teacher and found him attractive.  I thought – Frenchman, no, not named Nishan Something. Greek?  Tall and suave, anyway.

The several women were all affable, dressed to accommodate smeary stuff. I felt quite clever, having come in jeans. One asked if I was aware that our instructor was the "great" Nishan. I said no, and let it go at that.  “We're so lucky!” the woman added.
           
I smiled. Anyone in this southern California middle class community named “Nishan” and teaching sculpture to middle aged housewives (and me) probably had a wild hairdo, an undecipherable accent, and a long mustache. I began to wonder what other “interests” had been in that newspaper article.

Right on schedule, the classroom door was unlocked by a small, slender man of retirement age clad in a gray coverall. He had neither mustache nor beard.  The cluster of several middle aged women and one male trailed into the room after him, chose work benches, and picked up a sheet from the bench. The sheet was a list of required materials, which I pocketed then waited for the introductory remarks. 

There were none.  A woman asked him a question I did not hear.  His response was, “Yes.”
           
Another woman asked him how much clay she should buy.  He said, “Ten pounds.” He passed around a registration sheet and then said, “A model will come next Thursday.  Thank you.”  He smiled and left.  The intro night was over.

At home I almost tossed out the info sheet; but, holding it above the waste basket, my eye caught an odd word: plastiline.  What did that have to do with sculpting, whatever it was?  I put the sheet back in my pocket.

Plastiline, it turned out, is what is used instead of real clay.  It's dust free, doesn't crumble, lasts indefinitely, and washes off the hands easily.  WOW!  Suddenly, I knew I was returning to the class.  Worst case would be, if I quit the class, I could give this plastiline whatever to another student.

The next Thursday the other pre-sculptors welcomed me, obviously somewhat surprised that I'd returned. One said, “I think you'll like him after all. He's famous, you know.”

No, I didn't.  But then the number of sculptors I was familiar with totaled two: one Frenchman and one Italian.  This Nishan was neither. But I was here with ten pounds of plastiline, the few required tools, and a woman was sitting on a high stool in the center of the room.

The rest of the class was punching plastiline.  If they were, I figured I should, too. Nishan walked very slowly around behind the dozen sculpting people.  When he got to me, he peered over my shoulder, then spoke.
           
“Bad light,” he whispered. He pointed to another part of the room. I moved. He smiled.  That was the sum of the instruction I got for a month.  He must have exhausted his vocabulary.
 
Then, as I poked and rubbed at the blob I was trying to make into a facsimile of the model, he leaned over my shoulder and said softly, “Looks like a man.” He was right, and I already knew it. I turned toward him. He added, almost in a whisper, “All week look at women.” His face lit up in a huge grin. “She'll be beautiful next week,” he murmured.

I don't know what I'd been doing wrong, but the next Thursday the model had undergone a subtle transformation. And I fell in love with plastiline. It let me change anything and everything.  I could see this thing on my table morph into the model. The others in the class began passing behind me, pausing to look.

Finally, the model's time was used up.  We were all done, or nearly so.  When the model came over, she gazed at her facsimile for a long moment.  Then she smiled and said, “Thank you.”  My semester was made.

In the entire semester this Nishan hadn't spoken ten words to me, or fifty to the class. But, when, one day in Paris, I stood before Rodin's “The Kiss,” I understood.

Nishan Toor (1880 – 1966)   http://nishantoor.com/



No comments: