Sunday, April 21, 2013

Crater Lake


Crater Lake is one of the most visited parks in America. It is a “Natural Wonder of the World.” Just a few miles off U.S. 97, it is easy to get to, is open year round, save for occasional 14 foot snow packs, and less than forty miles from my home.  We return regularly.


 Only a handful of folks, however, shared the luck I had there one time.
My intent that day had been to photograph a special spot along the Rogue River.  My route to the Rogue took me past the Crater Lake entrance, and, on impulse, I turned in.  The lake would be especially brilliant that day at that time.  Maybe I could get one of those eye-popping panoramas that we see on calendars.

Approaching the parking lot and lodge, I saw a small crowd clustered a short distance from the lodge.  It was around a soft top convertible. A forest ranger stood nearby.  Approaching, I saw why the crowd. Inside the car was a bear. He was on the back seat eating out of two paper bags.

The bags were no surprise. People staying at the lodge often spent most of a day enjoying the greater perk area. The lodge routinely provided bag lunches.  A couple must have gone from the lodge to the car, but returned to the lodge temporarily.  Mr. Bear, ambling across the lot, having the world's greatest nose, crawled into the convertible.

As I stood by the park ranger, the couple returned. The man stopped and backed away; but the woman instantly strode up to the ranger.


“What's that thing doing in our car?” she demanded
“Eating,” the Ranger offered.
“GET IT OUT!!!!” charged the woman.
“Lady,” the Ranger said in a soft voice, “I don't give many commands to bears.”
“WELL, GET IT OUT!” yelled the woman.

The Ranger sort of shrugged, stepped over to the back of the car, then slammed his hard on a fender, making quite a bang and the, car shudder.  
       
The bear went straight up through the soft top.  As the bear strolled off toward the trees, the crowd exploded in laughter. It also gave the bear plenty of clearance.  The Ranger held his hands out, palms up.

No comments: